My chocolate peanut butter pie star was born very recently.
I was trying to make a no-bake off the cuff chocolate dessert on a crazy-hot day, using what I had on hand without having to turn my oven on. Let’s see…. Chocolate, cocoa powder, silken tofu, peanut butter, graham crackers. I got to work, mixed and prayed. I fretted all day, and sampled smidgens of the mixture a dozen times to see if it was setting. I needn’t have worried: the chocolate peanut pie was just fabulous. It was all I could do to save a piece from the onslaught, so my children could taste it the following day.
This chocolate peanut butter pie has all possible assets:
Beside being heavenly and totally wholesome of course: that’s a given! No baking needed, vegan, and easily adapted to gluten-free. What more could you wish for? You will be totally satisfied with a small serving: Mine yielded about twenty portions!
For this recipe as for all chocolate recipes: Only the best, please! You’ll see the difference at dessert time, maybe even before, if you are one of those bakers who like to help with cleaning by licking the batter!
It freezes very well.
So don’t divide please. Make the full recipe, and freeze the rest.
- 5-ounce package graham crackers (Gluten-free OK)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil or extra light olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet or bittersweet chopped chocolate or chocolate chips, best quality
- 1/4 cup pure cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee powder, decaf OK
- 2 tablespoons rum or brandy (liquor stores)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar, or stevia or truvia, a drop more if needed (taste the finished mixture before adding)
- 1 8-ounce container vegan cream cheese
- 2 pouches Cocoa Coffee Levana Nourishments
- 1 cup peanut butter (Settle for another nut butter if you are accommodating peanut-allergic people)
Make the crust: In a food processor, finely grind the crackers with the oil. Press the mixture very firmly into a 9-inch pie plate.
On a very low flame, melt the chips, cocoa, coffee, rum and sugar (or microwave 2 minutes). Transfer to a food processor, with all remaining ingredients, and process until perfectly smooth, a full minute. Pour the mixture over the crust. Chill. Cut the pie in wedges.
Makes a good 6 servings.