Carrot Ginger Soup stars the humble carrot.
It is complete with all the flavorings that compliment it: Don’t be afraid of serving carrot ginger soup to your guests, it doesn’t taste nearly as modest as the ingredient list reads.
This is a great vegetarian soup, and it is gluten-free without even trying! You got such a fantastic lineup of flavors here: Orange zest, fresh ginger, curry. How could you go wrong?
You can easily turn it into a full meal with the addition of a good crusty bread and a salad.
Chilled Carrot Ginger soup is great too: In this case mix in a little plain yogurt, or coconut milk in each serving.
This soup gets at once thickened and fortified by the addition of the grain. Be sure the grain is a quick cooking one, so it cooks in the same time as the rest of the soup. In other words, use the suggested grains, but do not use brown rice, barley etc.. It is all made of very easy to get ingredients, and it is ready in no time
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 pouches Levana Nourishments Garden Vegetable
- 2 inch piece ginger, grated
- 2 tablespoons curry, a little more if you like it hotter
- 4 large carrots, cut in large chunks
- 1/3 cup maple syrup or coconut sugar (if you are avoiding sugar completely, just use 3-4 packets of stevia)
- 8 cups water
- 1/2 cup millet or other quick-cooking grain: steel-cut oats, teff, amaranth, tiny red lentils, etc…
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- Salt and pepper to taste
Bring all ingredients to a boil in a wide heavy pot. Reduce the flame to medium and cook, covered, 30 minutes. Cream the soup with an immersion blender. Adjust the texture and seasonings. Makes 8 servings