Potato Tajine is Sephardi food at its best and most understated.
Straight from the Moroccan kitchen of my childhood. Starring the humble potato. Ridiculously simple ingredients and hardly any labor. I have included several variations of this potato tajine to make it a full one-pot dish.
Make this potato tajine an all-vegetable main course or just a side dish.
It is overlaid with all that is fragrant and aromatic and colorful, and is the perfect vegetarian dish. Maybe your next Meatless Monday Dinner!
We love cooking with olives.
What’s not to like? Olives pack in quite a flavor punch, and they are so healthy!
Scroll down for all the exciting variations!
- 2 dozen very small organic potatoes, unpeeled, halved (only organic potatoes are safe with their skin on)
- 2 dozen green pitted olives, rinsed
- 2 cups canned crushed tomatoes, or 4 plum tomatoes, diced small
- 2 pouches Levana Nourishments Garden Vegetable
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 small bunch parsley
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 4 sprigs cilantro, tough stems, discarded (skip if you don't like cilantro)
Bring the first set of ingredients to boil in a wide heavy pot. Reduce the heat to medium and cook covered for 30 minutes.
Stir in the parsley, lemon juice, zest and cilantro.
With a slotted spoon, transfer all ingredients to a platter, leaving mostly the cooking liquids. If they are too thin, reduce a few minutes on a high flame until the sauce thickens to the consistency of maple syrup, and pour evenly over the dish. Serve hot. Room temperature OK too.
Makes 6 servings.
- Use 2 large heads fennel, cut in thin wedges, instead of, or in addition to, the potatoes. Proceed just as above.
- Use a large head celery root, cut into 1" cubes, instead of, or in addition to, the potatoes. Proceed just as above.
- Use a dozen frozen and thawed artichoke bottoms, larger ones quartered, instead of, or in addition to, the potatoes. Proceed just as above.
- Make this a chicken main dish. Cook the dish with chicken pieces. Proceed just as above, cooking the dish a little longer if necessary until the chicken is tender.
- Make this a fish main dish. Add sliced salmon or other thick-sliced fish, or tilapia fillets, all boneless, after about 15 minutes. Proceed just as above.
- Make this a vegetarian main dish. Add extra firm tofu or tempeh, diced, or two cups cooked chickpeas. Proceed just as above.