Miso soup is a marvel
Quick is not even the word: By the time it comes to a boil, it’s done, a whole pot full!
Miso Soup is an incredibly nutritious and versatile low calorie Whole-Meal-in-a-Bowl.
I am giving you here a basic recipe, but I am including as many variations as I can think of, and let you play with it and get another exciting variationeach time. It will all be ready as soon as it comes to a boil.
You may never go back to the Chinese restaurant miso soup variety, unless you do, once in a blue moon, as I do: order it to your specifications: No canned veggies please! Banish the canned baby corn, bamboo shoots and water chestnuts: who needs it? Instead spread the fresh good stuff thick: fresh mushrooms, broccoli, zucchini, snow peas, and so on.
- 8 cups water
- 1 pound shitake mushrooms, caps only, sliced thin
- 2 pouches Levana Nourishments Mushroom Medley
- 1 pound firm or extra-firm tofu, cuts in small cubes, optional
- 1/2 cup miso paste, dark for a stronger taste, white for a milder taste
- 1/4 cup toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon bottled hot sauce, or more to taste
- 4 scallions, sliced very thin
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves, optional
Bring all but last ingredient to a boil, then turn off the flame. Stir in the scallions and cilantro Serve hot. Makes a dozen ample servings.
Miso Soup Variations:
- Choose from: Sliced celery, sliced zucchini, sliced carrots, frozen corn kernels, sliced nappa cabbage, sliced bok choy, sprouts etc… Nothing canned whatsoever please! Proceed as above.
- Throw in a nice handful or two of rice noodles or soba noodles, left whole (get ready for slurping) or cut into smaller pieces (no slurping). Proceed as above.
- Throw in a handful of seaweed: Crumbled nori, wakame, arame, hijiki. Proceed as above.
- Include 2-3 cups either cubed chicken breasts or fish, or very thinly sliced London Broil: they will cook in the same time the soup does. Proceed as above.
- Add bright green vegetables such as snow peas, spinach leaves, watercress leaves, asparagus sections, broccoli spears or string beans all the way at the end of cooking, after the soup comes to a boil, so that they retain their bright color.
- Throw in a 15 ounce can of coconut milk for a richer soup. Proceed as above.
- Throw in a cup of sake for added punch. Proceed as above.