Black Bean Soup with Chocolate? Huh?
I recently teased my friend Sara into identifying the odd ingredient in my black bean soup, which she loved. This naughty cook enjoyed watching her racking her brains, and didn’t feel any guilt about it: After all, she was working for food, and was kept guessing through a second bowl. PS, she never did identify it, she said all she could tell is that this was like no other black bean soup she ever had. That’s the magic of chocolate!
Canned beans will work here just fine
The soup has lots of fabulous flavors going for it. If you want to go all out, go ahead and add some Tex Mex toppings: Corn chips, guacamole, salsa etc.
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 pouches Levana Nourishments Cocoa Coffee
- 6 cups good quality canned black beans (2 large cans), drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 2 cups dry red wine (skip if you can't have any wine)
- 3 tablespoons bottled hot sauce
- 8 cups water
- 1/2 cup bittersweet or semisweet chocolate chips (sugar restricted: use 1/4 cup pure cocoa powder)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
Bring all ingredients to broil in a wide heavy pot. Reduce the flame to medium, and cook covered for 20 minutes. Adjust texture and seasonings. Serve hot. Makes 8 servings.